Saturday, February 10, 2007

Po-TAY-toes

Last night I made oven-baked potatoes for dinner. Didn't use a specific recipe per se, but one of the things about Friday nights is that I usually use that as my 'comfort food' night. It's the end of the work week... and usually I am *ready* to go home and relax and delight in the fact that I don't have to work for two days! So, I've gotten into the habit of enjoying comfort foods for Friday dinners. Friday nights are great for pizza... or sometimes I'll pick up my favorite Thai dish from the local Thai restaurant. Last night, though, I wanted to make something I could post on this blog. ;) I bought a sack of potatoes last weekend, and fearing they'd be going bad soon, I thought oven-baked fries would be easy and use up some of the potatoes... ok, one potato. I don't bake a lot of potatos for that reason... I hate buying a sack and feeling like I have to eat nothing but potatos until they're gone. As a single person, I find it difficult to get through a sack of potatos before they go bad. Yeah, I know, I could buy them one at a time at the store, but for some reason I don't... at least not very often. I had this particular sack of potatoes in the house because I've been using some of them as a base ingredient for a mixture that I stuff my dog's hollow bones/kongs with before freezing them.

Anyway, to make these oven-baked potatoes, I preheated the oven to 450 degrees, sliced my potatoes, tossed them with Carapelli extra virgin olive oil and Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb blend. I arranged them on a cookie sheet and baked them for 15 minutes, turned them over and then baked for an additional 15 minutes. Not too bad. They weren't super crunchy, so they probably could've stayed in the oven a little bit longer.

No comments: