Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hot Cocoa Mix - Veganized

"B-R-R! B-R-R!" is how my late grandfather used to greet us on a cold winter day. If he were alive, he'd definitely utter his signature phrase today... it's a balmy 17 degrees F (wind chill of 3 degrees F!) with 2 to 4 inches of snow expected throughout the afternoon and this evening. Gotta love Michigan winters. :)

But, one of the things I love about winter, aside from seeing bare trees coated with freshly fallen snow, is consuming hot cocoa! I love being at home, or in my office at work, watching the snow fall outside while I sip a warm cup of chocolate yumminess. It's easy to whip up a cup of cocoa on the stovetop when I'm home, but work poses a challenge. I need a powdered mix that I can keep in my desk drawer and make in a microwave. I had a homemade recipe for powdered hot cocoa, but I wasn't sure where to find vegan powdered creamer for the mix; I hadn't seen it in my local stores. Then while surfing the Net, I spied the non-dairy vegan creamer on Pangea.com, added it to my cart and anxiously awaited its arrival. Thank goodness they ship quick!

I don't remember where I found this recipe, but it originally contained non-fat powdered milk and regular non-dairy creamer. I've replaced those with the "Better Than Milk" (lite) Soy Beverage Mix and the Taam-Tov Instant Creamer for a delicious vegan hot chocolate mix that you just add hot water to. If you like your hot cocoa with spice, feel free to add some cinnamon or nutmeg to the mix. :)

Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix

1.5 cups "Better Than Milk" Soy Beverage
1.5 cups vegan sugar
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cups Taam-Tov instant creamer

Stir all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Store in an air-tight container. To use, place 2 or 3 tablespoons in a mug, add boiling water and stir. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jody from VegChic said...

Cocoa and soup are definitely the solution to the cold.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm always exciting to find new veggie friends online!

Happy birthday, that cake looks amazing!

Rural Vegan said...

Hot cocoa is mandatory for midwest winter survival! Trader Joes has a vegan mint cocoa which is excellent, but probably loaded with sugar.

Mansi said...

wow, this looks awesome! I am a fellow veggie blogger too, and I'm loving the recipes you have here!