Friday, February 15, 2008

Vegan Rice Crispy Treats!

Quick post here, but I wanted to preview part of what I'll be giving my omni fiance tonight during our Valentine celebration... vegan rice crispy treats! But shhhhhh.... I'm not telling him they're vegan. I'm sure he'll figure it out if he happens to offer me one and I accept, but I'm curious to know what he honestly thinks of the taste without throwing the "vegan" word in his face.

I must admit, when I first laid eyes on the Vegan Sweets Marshmallows, I was leery . While they try to look like "normal" marshmallows, they fall a bit short; the color is more off-white and their size is somewhere between big and miniature marshmallows. It probably didn't help that I ordered the irregulars because they were cheaper (and I knew I'd just be melting them down anyway). Even when I opened the package last night and sampled one before pouring the rest in the pan of waiting melted Earth Balance, I still was nervous that I had wasted my money because they didn't even taste like traditional marshmallows when eaten alone.

But, when these babies cooled and I sampled the scraps left over by my heart-shaped cookie cutter, I couldn't believe how YUMMY they were! I ate ALL the scraps last night, LOL. They were GOOD! But can they pass the omni test? We'll find out tonight. ;)

The recipe for these vegan treats (which is basically the same as regular rice crispy treats) is included on the Vegan Sweets Marshmallow package. If you haven't tried vegan rice crispy treats yet... what are you waiting for?!? :-)


UPDATE 2/16/08: These treats passed the omni taste test! My hubby-to-be had no clue these weren't "regular" rice crispy treats. Rice crispy treats are one of his favs. He told me these were very good... and then I did the big reveal that they're vegan! :) Yay!

8 comments:

urban vegan said...

It's been too long since I've had one of these...adorable!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness those look INCREDIBLE!! your treats are FAR superior to those infamous rice krispie treats with the elves ;0)

Rural Vegan said...

Extra points for making them in heart shapes too! I have yet to try any of the vegan marshmallows. I can't get them locally at all, guess I need to order them online. The end result certainly looks worth it!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I'm SURE it passed the omni test, just judging by the looks of those delectable little treats!

Amy said...

Yeah, and why do marshmallows have to be non-vegetarian anyway? I wish the manufacturers would start using agar or cornstarch. Those look so yummy!

CKCCPA said...

Looks really yummy

Rachel Cotterill said...

This is a different make of marshmallow to the ones I got - I can't find them in stock anywhere to compare. Will have to try making some of those soon :)

Anonymous said...

Getting a topaz ring as links london jewellery jewelry gifts from better-half is no lower than an awesome joy. discount links of london bracelets Many ladies do admire such jewelry sparkling through charms links of london their fingers. If you may get to own one as gift, links of london silver watches you will definitely appreciate such beauty and elegance for high class cheap links of london necklaces type of jewelry. Those who know what the actual worth of gemstones will links london pendants certainly love to have one added into their collection.